There’s a dizzying number of tasks to think about when moving to a new apartment home in West Lafayette. Following a smartly prepared list makes everything go more smoothly. It is critical in helping you document every task, stay focused, and feel more in control. With a goal of making your next apartment move less of a burden, we’ve compiled these essential tasks for your apartment moving checklist in West Lafayette.
8 Weeks Before Your Moving Day: Start Preparing
Don’t wait to the last minute! The moving process will be more stress-free the earlier you begin preparing.
- Get organized. Follow our tips to begin your West Lafayette apartment moving checklist and add more things to it as you think of them.
- Inform your current leasing office. The majority of contracts call for a written notice signed two months before you move.
- Review what your current landlord requires when leaving, like a final walk-through and proper cleaning. Be sure to include these on your checklist.
6 Weeks Before Moving: Get Ready For The Big Day
This is the week to start planning your big day and arrange the help you need.
- Finalize any loose ends concerning your new apartment property in West Lafayette. Establish your move-in date, make sure you understand the steps you need to take, and finish any documents that still need to be signed.
- Hire professional movers or sign up for a rental truck. Get reservations done at this time to help guarantee you get the date you want.
- Schedule a babysitter or pet sitter for moving day to keep kids and animals safe.
2-4 Weeks Until Moving Day: Box It Up
Having your things boxed up early will reduce your stress as you get closer to moving day. Put everything into one of three categories: save, donations, or garbage.
- Gather moving boxes and other supplies.
- Begin packing non-essential items and getting rid of unwanted items. Remind yourself to label boxes!
- Fix any problems that are your responsibility in your prior home to get your deposit back.
- Revise your insurance coverage for your new address.
- Complete a change of address form and request mail forwarding from the USPS.
- Request the transfer of your utilities or create new billing arrangements for electric, gas, cable.
- Inform your employer, financial institutions, and others of your change of address.
- Find where the most convenient restaurants, hospitals, schools, and other frequented places are within your new locale.
1 Week Prior To Moving Day: Finalize Plans
This week promises to be busy but exciting as you get ready to move.
- Confirm your moving service or truck rental and make sure they have addresses and directions for the day of your move.
- Finish packing. Pack a temporary bag for the first couple days in your new apartment, and determine a prudent method to stow valuables and important documents to keep in close proximity.
- Clean your previous apartment when you pack those last few boxes. .
- Get your new keys and complete an initial tour of your new apartment. Identify and inform management of all maintenance concerns.
- Visualize where your furniture will incorporate into your brand new floor plan.
Your Big Day: Stay Organized!
The wait is over and it's time to move! It’s likely to get a bit frantic, so it’s wise to have your West Lafayette apartment moving checklist handy to keep yourself organized.
- Dispatch children and pets with trusted family, friends, or paid sitters for the day.
- Coordinate with the team of professionals as they pack and unpack the truck. Be sure to tip them and submit the last payment.
- Do the final walk around of your old apartment.
- Check that you have important utilities like gas and electric as well as fully functional smoke alarms.
- Set up the bare necessities at your new home, such as beds, toilet paper, and snacks.
Add A Tour Of The Ivy Towns and Flats To Your Apartment Moving Checklist For West Lafayette
You have to find a new place before you start planning your move. Have you seen The Ivy Towns and Flats? Our friendly leasing professionals are excited to give you an on-location or online tour of our lovely complex and will help you determine the perfect floor plan for you. Make visiting us part of your checklist and reach out to 765-300-4521 or request a tour today to discover your new home.